Saturday, January 18, 2014

What DOES a Fox Say?

Around a year ago I had one of my good friends ask me if I had heard of the song 'What Does a Fox Say?'. She laughed and said that I needed to listen to it. When she said the title, 'What Does a Fox Say?', I thought that it would be a child's song similar to 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' or 'If You're Happy and You Know it, Clap Your Hands'. After she mentioned it, I put the song out of my head and actually forgot that she said I should listen to it. A few weeks later, I turned on the local news and saw a dad with his two girls singing a song. The lyrics were about animals and the noises they made. I thought, 'Wow, that's a weird song', and then moved on with my life. A few weeks later I turned on the radio and BAM there was that song! I was like, 'What? Huh? Really? Are they serious?' and quickly changed the station.

One day I was driving my girls to school and the Fox song came on again so I quickly changed the station and to my surprise and disappointment my girls yelled, 'MOMMY, NO, turn it back, we love that song!'. I was like, 'Really? Are you serious?' and I knew they were serious when they began to giggle and sing the song loudly and as obnoxiously as the actual singer. I have to admit, it was kind of cute the first time I witnessed them doing this, but after the 100th time I was over the fox and really could not care what he said.

I took the time to listen to the lyrics in hopes of there being an actual message; there wasn't. After listening to the song and watching the video I came to the conclusion that it was possible that the artist(s) that wrote the song was probably 'under the influence'. Just kidding, sort of. I did, however, take the time to look at the artist website http://www.ylvis.com and came to realize that these are two brothers from Bergen and Africa and they are pretty funny and entertaining.  

 The song, 'What Does a Fox Say', will be a song that I look back on and wonder how it made it to the radio waves. Then I began to think about what crazy songs I grew up with that make me wonder the same thing now. A few songs that popped into my head are 'La Macarena' by Los Del Rio, 'Puttin' on the Ritz' by Taco (I actually did a jump rope routine to this song in 5th grade), 'The Safety Dance' by Men Without Hats', 'Thong Song' by Sisqo, 'Informer' by Snow, and so many more. As a younger person, I will admit that I sang, danced, and had fun with these songs; now it's my turn to let my girls have fun with the Fox song as I silently cringe.

What songs make you go scratch your head? By the way... 'What Does a Fox Say'.. I Googled it and a fox say 'ruff'.



Written by: Aimee Fauci

No comments:

Post a Comment