Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Moroccan Bites, San Antonio, Texas- A 'House of Fauci's' Review

My husband and I love to watch travel and food shows that highlight restaurants from cities that are near us. A few weeks ago, we were watching Diners, Drive Ins and Dives hosted by Guy Fieri. He was in San Antonio, Texas, at a local restaurant called 'Moroccan Bites'; not sure if it was a dive or a diner. After we watched the episode I looked up at my husband and said, 'We HAVE to go there!'. 
Moroccan Bites is not a restaurant I would have ever gone to without first having seen it featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. I am that type of eater that knows what kind of food I like and is not easily willing to try a new type of food, but when I saw this restaurant featured, my taste buds told me that I had to get past my fear and give it a try. I was glad that I did. 

The first thing that I noticed when I walked into Moroccan Bites was the beautiful decorations and the wall art. In addition, the restaurant was not large but very quaint and cozy. At the time we were the only guests in the restaurant so I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to walk around and take pictures of the beautiful decor. I noticed that two rooms were blocked off, fancied up and reserved. I wish I had gotten my husband to ask who those two rooms were for. 

After watching Diners, Drive Ins and Dives I had pretty much decided that I wanted lamb, but I was not sure what the dish was called or which dish to choose. 

After I talked to the waitress I decided that I wanted to order the Lamb Tagin with Vegetables along with a side of rice. The waitress explained to me that it was a type of stew. 
When my Lamb Tagine was served my first thought was how pretty it was. This dish had color and you could tell that the vegetables were cooked to perfection. The lamb was almost perfect, it had a few chewy pieces and seemed a bit greasy, but it was good. In addition, the vegetables which included potatoes, peas, and corn were cooked to perfection. They were so fresh and tender. I also ordered a side of rice and almost ate the entire bowl. The side dish was enough for 2 or more people, but I ate most of it. 

My husband always seems to order the best dish. On this day he ordered the Lamb Kebab with a side of french fries. He was going to order steamed vegetables as his side dish but we had our 2 year old with us so he got the fries for her which she enjoyed. He said that his lamb was cooked to perfection! After his dish was served, the waitress offered him some hot sauce and he said it was too hot for me. I wish I had tried his lamb before he spiced it up. 

This was my first experience to eat Moroccan Food and I must say that it was good. The food was fresh and the ambiance was fantastic. I think I already know what I will be ordering the next time we visit Moroccan Bites in San Antonio, Texas. 

15 comments:

  1. The ambiance looks amazing and the food delish! WIN-WIN in my book. I think I was slightly salivating while typing this. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had Moroccan food before but that looks yummy. Will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of that looks incredible. I've heard wonderful things about this restaurant but haven't been yet. I definitely need to go now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever been there. A new one for the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, this place is in a shopping center surrounded by other establishments based on other countries.. I would have never thought to stop and I'm never in that part of town.. TBH

      Delete
  5. I love Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives! My husband and I watch it all the time. I've never tried Moroccan food before, but both of your dishes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a huge fan of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives; I watch him all the time.

    Living in the Middle East, I've had Moroccan and other Arab foods quite frequently.

    The food looks really good and one can never have too much rice, well yes they can, but.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need educated on all these types of food.... The waitress was telling us the diff between certain food culturals and it had my head spinning. Like I thought Moroccan and Mediterr. were the same but they are not.. I guess it is the spices they use?

      Delete
  7. I love Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives! The food looks yummy and the restaurant looks really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have so many restaurants in SA that have appeared on this show plus the other shows on Food Network... I need to try them ALL!

      Delete
  8. This looks sooooo good! It makes me wish I lived closer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looooove lamb, so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you find a place that served lamb right, you stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would SO love to dine here! You make me want to check Southwest just so we can make a trip to eat there! Real foodies do that you know. lol Yum to my tum! Adding to my list of must-go places when we are in the area!

    ReplyDelete