Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Welcome to Gruene, Texas

The other day we spent most of the day in Gruene, Texas. If you don't know where Gruene is, it is about 40 (give or take) minutes from San Antonio, Texas or 40 (give or take) minutes from Austin, Texas. It is a little town that is not only breathtaking but a town that is full of history and shopping; along with so many good places to eat! Here is a little bit of Gruene in the eyes of the Fauci's. 

When we arrived in Gruene, we had to eat. I wanted to eat by the river at an awesome place called Gristmill, but we ended up eating at another fabulous place called Cantina del Rio. This was our second time to eat here and it was just as fabulous as the first time. We sat on the deck with a nice breeze blowing. The adults ate amazing fish tacos and the girls ate the best fries and nachos.  



After lunch it was time to explore the town. For a Wednesday the town was bustling, but not too much to make it uncomfortable. Gruene has so many awesome buildings that have been converted into Bed & Breakfasts. I've never stayed at a Bed & Breakfast but would consider it so that I could enjoy the Gruene nightlife. 



As we stroll through Gruene there are so many cute shops that sell a variety of merchandise. Each shop is unique and each shop owner is personable and ready to chat. 



If you need a sit down, something cool to eat, if you want to chat with friends or if you just want to grab some fun items then head on over to the General Store. This is a cute store that has tons of candy, honey, hot sauce, cool and unique items, tons of ice cream and fudge. Oh yes, fudge! 



For those that want to enjoy a cold beer, some live music and dancing, you need to stop by Gruene Hall; Texas' Oldest Dance Hall. Gruene Hall not only plays live music at night but also during the day. It is a great place to relax and listen to some awesome music. Gruene Hall has had artists from Willie Nelson to the Bacon Brothers. 

I have only highlighted a little bit of Gruene. There is so much more that this little town offers. If you are visiting Austin, San Antonio or the surrounding areas you should take a day and visit Gruene. Like I said, not only is it beautiful but it has greats shopping, yummy eats, and super nice people. 

25 comments:

  1. The General Store looks like so much fun! And for some reason I'm really wanting those french fries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Next time I will def have to order two servings!

      Delete
  2. Wow what a gorgeous place! Never even heard of it... And those chips looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stopping by your blog because it helps to know which places I need to visit on my vacation in Texas. I love visiting General Stores and finding cool things to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This little area over here is so beautiful. Often times it can be forgotten about because travelers tend to visit the big cities like Austin and SA.

      Delete
  4. So fun!! I love that general store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gruene is one of my favorite places!! I went to college right down the road so I was able to visit often! I love the unique items you can find in all the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Gristmill is so good! We'll be in that area this summer so I'm taking notes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! We have not been and that will be our next place to eat when we visit.

      Delete
  7. I've love to check out texas someday. I'm from Michigan and have never even gotten close. Food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to Texas... you will never want to leave ;-)

      Delete
  8. I need to go here! It looks SO cute! Great place for photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that place, you just made me want to go back and visit soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love bed & breakfast places!!! They have such a personal feel that hotels can't offer. Looks like a great trip, that food looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh that looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the introduction to this beautiful little town! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I we visited there, but not able to see as it was difficult to get a parking spot due to some music festivals. May be next time we will visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kids have been there and loved it, it's still on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks awesome and yummy! I have never been to Texas, but through your pictures I feel like I am there. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a texas tile just like the top one. I have never been to gruene but I will for sure put it on our road trip list

    ReplyDelete
  17. For such a tiny town there really is so much to do in Gruene. We love it there! Great pics and wonderful overview, Aimee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG Gruene is GORG!! You should really go there during Christmas time! You will really fall in love with it :)

    http://neatly-packaged.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. That victorian bed & breakfast?!?! Heart eyes for days! I need to get to this little town!! Pinning it on my travel board =D

    ReplyDelete